As one of the well-known landmarks in the world, it is no wonder that the Hollywood Sign has been seen again and again on television, in film, in video games, in commercials, on the news, and in a remarkable variety of licensed merchandise around the world.
We’d like to invite you to be part of that legacy by including the Sign in your next project. If you’re covering the Sign as part of a news story, or if you’d like to use an image of the Sign for any sort of commercial purpose, be it licensing, filming, or photography, there are resources you can use to get the access and permissions you will need. We’ve put together the following information to help steer you through the process as smoothly as possible.
For general filming information and important restrictions, please consult our Rules of the Road.
Can’t find the information you need below? Contact Betsy Isroelit at RBI and we’ll steer you in the right direction.
If you’re with the media and reporting a story that includes the Hollywood Sign, you only need make one call. We can supply accurate factual and historical data, arrange for access for photographing/filming at or near the Sign; schedule interviews with Sign and city officials, and more. We have the most complete archive of historic b-roll and photographs of the Sign available for your use.
t: (323) 443-1923
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce owns certain trademark rights for usage of the Sign or its likeness for commercial purposes. The Chamber manages these rights and negotiates all fees. They can assist with both commercial and feature film requests.
Hollywood Chamber of Commerce
To shoot a commercial, film or television episode, approval from the Park Film Office is required. Prior to filming, we will schedule an appointment to scout the location with you and discuss your needs in the context of what is permissible.
Commercials & Film Contact:
Park Film Office
w: Official Website
Filming is restricted to daylight hours only.
Areas provided for filming or photography in the Park are limited to:
• Sign site – a ten foot wide, 80-foot long plateau on Mt. Lee, under the Sign letters, reached by a difficult climb down a steep embankment.
• Park entrance area at the end of Deronda – Unpaved area northwest of gate entrance may be used as small base camp after review with Recreation and Parks Department.
• Lake Hollywood Park (alternative) – Located at Mulholland Hwy and Canyon Lake Dr. This large grassy plot near the base of Mt. Lee, almost directly below Sign, has plentiful street parking and a good view of the Sign. This area is not subject to many of the usual Hollywood Sign Restrictions.
Restricted areas are as follows:
• Driving shots along Mt. Lee Dr. are not permitted.
• The paved access road to the Sign cannot be used for any purpose except drop-off at the Sign site.
• Parking is prohibited in order to insure fire equipment access.
• Every activity at the Sign will be monitored and assisted by a Department Employee. No climbing on or touching of the Sign is permitted.
• Street access to the residences outside the Deronda gate cannot be blocked.
• No construction of any kind can be built around the Sign or the park area near the surrounding neighborhood.
• No alteration, physical changes or lighting of the Hollywood Sign or surrounding area is allowed.
• No vegetation may be cut or removed.
• NO SMOKING allowed in the Park.
CREW & EQUIPMENT
• Crew size must be limited to 20 or less at the Sign itself for safety reasons.
• Equipment must be limited to necessary items which can be transported in one utility vehicle.
• No more than 3 vehicles will be allowed at any one time in this area of the Park.
• No large trucks or other large vehicles are permitted to travel Mt. Lee Dr.
• No generators can be brought into the Park.